Producer Frequently Asked Questions
What is Purely Piedmont?
Purely Piedmont is a brand and marketing program created by the Rappahannock-Rapidan Regional Commission’s Food Policy Council to promote the food and beverages locally grown in Virginia’s Northern Piedmont. The program currently covers products grown within Culpeper, Fauquier, Madison, Orange, and Rappahannock Counties. By purchasing products with the Purely Piedmont logo, consumers can be confident they are truly buying local.
What are the goals of the the program?
The Purely Piedmont program was created to:
- Promote consumption of the region’s locally grown food and beverages
- Educate consumers on the advantages of buying local foods
- Allow consumers to easily identify our farmers’ products and have the ability to make more informed choices.
What are the program standards?
To use the Purely Piedmont logo, products must meet the following standards:
- Fruit and vegetable products must be grown within the Region (i.e. Culpeper, Fauquier, Madison, Orange, and Rappahannock Counties in Virginia).
- For meat products, the animal must have spent 75% of its life after weaning within the Region.
- For processed (i.e. value-added) products, total product by weight must be 75% ingredients grown within the Region, excluding water, flour, sugar, oil and salt.
- Nursery plants, trees, and freshly prepared foods, such as deli and restaurant foods, are not included in the Purely Piedmont label program at this time.
What will it cost my business to participate in the Purely Piedmont program?
There is currently no cost to participate in the program.
How can I use the Purely Piedmont logo to promote my farm?
The Purely Piedmont logo is available for use as a roll of 1.25” labels to affix to products and packaging, and as digital files for producers to incorporate into their own labels, website and other marketing materials. Please note the labels are not food-safe and should be attached to the packaging, not directly on food. Other Purely Piedmont promotional materials may be available in the future at cost, if producers express sufficient interest, so be sure to indicate your interest in the registration form.
How do I obtain Purely Piedmont labels and digital logo files to use on my products?
Does my membership in the Purely Piedmont program expire?
No, for ease of use and administration, memberships do not need to be renewed.
What happens if my product or business is not compliant with certification and logo-use standards?
The Purely Piedmont brand name and logo are trademarks of the Rappahannock-Rapidan Regional Commission. Use of the logo is governed by a binding license agreement that includes terms of usage. If a complaint is received or the Regional Commission otherwise suspects a program member is not meeting the program standards, the Commission will notify the member and offer the producer an opportunity to prove otherwise. Failure to comply with the terms and conditions of the Purely Piedmont farmer or farm-based business Certification and License Agreement will result in termination from the program and of the right to use the Purely Piedmont logo and related promotional materials.
Please note: Purely Piedmont labels should not be ingested or placed directly on food.